One of my most cherished memories of Christmases past is savoring sweets at Granny’s house. She was famous for her beautiful holiday spice cakes, with pristine white frosting with perfect pecan halves and delicately cut and placed maraschino cherries in red and green to resemble Christmas flowers. I don’t recall liking the spice cake itself; it was too, well, spicy for a kid’s palate. But she also made awesome cookies. She made three kinds of cookies at Christmas: decorated sugar cutouts, black walnut cookies, and these… my personal favorite. I have her recipe. It is a perfect from-scratch recipe. But I tried this hack one year and never looked back.
This site is not only a home for my published works, it’s a blank canvas for me, Mama, to write about, post pictures of, and rant/rave about all things... Mostly funny, sometimes morose, always REAL.
- RT @AP: Thai Navy SEALs say all 12 boys and their coach rescued from cave, ending an ordeal that lasted more than 2 weeks. https://t.co/MLb… 1 week ago
- @District4Stokes Thank you for caring enough about my kids and all the kids in Manatee County to run for a seat on… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 2 months ago
- Such a fun (hot) day of sharing the LOVE of reading with families. @SRQAaronReads is leading the charge to get kids… twitter.com/i/web/status/9… 3 months ago
- Excited to be a part of this event again this year. I’ll be reading at 11:00... Come hear a story. https://t.co/YmxKT8rT0f 3 months ago
- whatsmamawriting.com/2018/03/08/the… 4 months ago